I read like one of those annoying advert sites that lure you in only to repeat the same tag line over and over again. Blah, blah, blah, breakfast is important, blah, blah, blah. I’m sure you get that by now. In this post, however, I want to show you that a quick and healthy breakfast can also be friggin’ delicious.
A few months ago I was on a muffin kick. Fayza joked that every time she called me to ask me what I was up to my response was “Making muffins”. I tweaked this recipe until I got it the way I like it, and I swear to you I’m so eager to eat these in the morning that I almost want to wake up early so I can get at them sooner.
I said almost.
Best Breakfast Bran Muffins EVER
(it’s important that you capitalize EVER, should you pass this recipe around)
Hands on time: 15 min
Baking time: 20 min per batch
Makes 12 good sized muffins
1 cup wheat bran (find it at Whole Foods in the bulk section or at some larger grocery stores in the health food aisle)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour (I suppose you could use all purpose flour instead of wheat, but you lose the nutrition benefits of whole wheat)
1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 cup flaxseeds (optional, but I like the texture they give and they are full of good stuff)
1 ¼ cup buttermilk
1/3 cup sugar (original recipe uses 1/2 cup, but I don’t think it’s necessary)
1-4 ounce single serving cup of apple sauce
1½ Tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F. Spray no-stick spray into the cups of a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl mix the wheat bran, white and wheat flours, baking soda, salt and flax seeds (if using). Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Stir them around for about 30 seconds to make sure the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until just combined. Spoon or pour batter into the prepared muffin tin. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan, then pop them out.
- Go ahead and eat one now. They’re healthy